March 03, 2007

cooking with freshie

Okay I'm not really a cook - I can cook, I just don't have the time or patience (I'm usually starving when I get off of work). Plus, I love sushi, and I am not interested in tackling that cuisine in my kitchen. But tonight, Greggles is away and I bought some butternut squash/hazelnut/feta ravioli yesterday that sounded like it wouldn't appeal to him... So I whipped up an alfredo sauce with lemon zest and rosemary leaves (in a real skillet, borrowed from my mom along with her lemon zester). It's loosely based on a recipe I found in Domino, "Zesty Tagliarini". The original recipe is delicious - when prepared as suggested with fresh rosemary leaves. I, however, being clever and still trying to find a shortcut grabbed the rosemary leaves I had in my spice cabinet - rosemary leaves whose sell by date was March 2001. Yes, those were considered old six years ago. I bravely put them in the sauce anyway, figuring they are dried spices, and they don't go bad, right? Well let me tell you - those are going in the trash. I just kept pulling them out of my mouth because they tasted like I had dropped some dried up dirt in the sauce. Not good. However, do try the original recipe yourself - it is very tasty, cheap, and easy! I recommend it with this Arugula and Grapefruit Salad, too.

By the way, the ravioli was pretty good - I got it at Wild Oats. However, it says it serves two and I ate every single one... whoops. Now, should I eat my Girl Scout cookies for dessert? Mmmmmm....

4 comments:

Beth Howard said...

Oh, I feel for you on the cooking thing. I wish I had the energy to cook myself delicious and nutritious dinners, but instead I have a lot of tortillas with cheese, pb&j, or apple-n-peanut butter dinners.

Beth Howard said...

p.s. it's absolutely RIDICULOUS that you set that photo up with the lemons on stem and ever'thing! You put the rest of us to SHAME!

freshie (and zero) said...

Oh honey no! That picture is from Domino Mag - I am NOT that good!!!

Unknown said...

I can attest to the yummy nature of Freshie's cooking!! mmmmmmmm

lemon zest... yum yum!